Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thankful Moment Day 16

I am so thankful to be an American. I have traveled to at least a dozen different countries. Some of them have great food, beautiful scenery, etc but none of them compare to The United States of America. I remember one trip I was on when a girl came up to me and asked me if I knew how lucky I was to be an American. That really made me want to learn more about my country.
When 9/11 happened I was in high school. I remember the feeling at school that day. My seminary teacher taught about how the USA was taught by ancient prophets in the scriptures. But what really changed me was the next morning in my US History class. My teacher taught us about when she worked in Washington DC, what we needed to do as the "next generation" and how what had happened would forever change our lives. Then and there was when I decided I would be involved in my country. Whether supporting my president, troops, local leaders; voting; going to political meetings; etc. I would be involved.
Well, all of that has and is taking place. I am more involved in politics than I ever dreamed. I know that I can make a difference. I also know that it is important to respect others and their political views because that is what this country is about. I am thankful to my family and friends who are willing to stand up for what they believe in about this country. I am thankful to live in a land where I can worship freely. I am thankful to my ancestors who had the courage to come to a strange new land to make their family life better. I am proud to be of such a heritage.

No comments: