Friday, October 28, 2011

A Tribute

My life is a tribute to families. I am a living testiment that families are what make us. This week I have reflected so much on what makes me so thankful for my family and why I have such a great family. Last weekend I went on a Girls Weekend with my mom and three sisters. We had such a blast and get along so well. Thanks girls! But, that would not have been possible without the guys taking care of the children. Thanks guys!
But this guy is the reason we all turned out so well. This is my brother Matt. He left this world 21 years ago this week. It is hard to believe it has been that long because I remember that day. We all do. And we all remember different things about Matt. We all grieve his death in different ways too. But, through it all, we all know that because of his death we pulled together as a family.

We know that families can be together forever.

We knew that we had to work to make our family great. So, we looked out for each other a little more. We did things for each other because we knew it was the little moments that make the difference. We were kinder to one another. All of the love and support I had growing up and continue to have are so generously given because that is what Matt taught us.
But my family is more than just watching out for each other. New traditions have started. This picture shows one of my favorites. Every year the Saturday after Thanksgiving we get together and decorate the tree by Matt's grave. When we started 21 years ago my Dad was taller than the tree. But, as you can see from this picture in 2008, the tree has grown. We all have grown. As has our family. 3 brother in laws, 1 sister in law, 5 boys, 2 girls and a girl on the way (Congartulations Tim and Shannon). How thankful I am that I have a family. That they love me.
More importantly, that I get to love them.

No comments: