Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We Are Moving... Again

Well, Mark finally convinced me that we should move into the shed. Okay. So we decided a few weeks ago that we would actually move. My sister teased me that we can't build a home or apartment without testing to make sure it is liveable. Seriously. This will be our fifth (that is 5 people!) in less than two years. Do the math! Spencer has not had one Christmas in the same house once.

But, as bad as I make that sound, I am excited. Smaller quarters means less cleaning and more time being a mommy and wife. It means cozy nights snuggled by the fire, more home cooked meals (they are sparse these days), more reading (with kids and for myself) and it means I get to decorate my new house. So, let me brag a little about my new house.

This barn style 3 bedroom 2 bath is totally custom. I mean, it literally was built to look like a barn on the outside. But inside, it is a beautiful home. We designed the plan ourselves, with a little help and insight from Ben, my brother in law (Thanks Ben!). The main floor is the living room and kitchen, bathroom, laundry, and 2 bedrooms for the kids. Upstairs is a loft which will be my craft haven, a book nook for Spencer (but I think all of us will use it), and the master bedroom and bathroom. It isn't quite 1300 square feet.

Mark has helped or done every bit of work. From preparing the plans, moving dirt, pouring concrete, building walls, hand stacking the roof, rough plumbing and electrical, drywall (we hired out the drywall but we were short 2 sheets so Mark hung those), baseboard, casing, doors, painting (we have lots of colors because we used leftovers from all of our various projects), flooring (I think this is my favorite part), cabinets, finish plumbing and electrical, running power, water and sewer to and from the shed, and putting in a fireplace. I have been helping a lot as well. Holding down the lighting store has been my biggest contribution. But after work I help clean hand tools to Mark, put in door handles or cabinet hardware, figure out what furniture is going where, help wire, etc. We are about 2 weeks from being totally finished with the house. We have been putting in long hours and a lot of late nights.

The biggest blessing is that we found a family to rent our house. We found them in less than two days! Two Days!! Makes me wonder if I should have listed it for more? No, they are just an answer to many prayers. They have 3 children and are such nice people. They will be moving in November 1. I have a ton of moving and cleaning to do by then. But, I know that we are being blessed because we are moving forward with faith.

Speaking of faith, I loved General Conference! I was so inspired and uplifted by the messages of our leaders. I truly am thankful to God for a living prophet to guide me through these days. So, here is my shout out to all of the time and preperation that went into the beautiful messages and music. THANK YOU!!!

And, with the coming change comes a change in weather. What is it about fall that we all seem to love and hate at the same time? I love the beautiful colors and cooler temperatures. I love the smell of rain and how it seems to give the whole earth a bath. But, I hate that it means freezing temperatures are coming and darkness gets more daytime than it should. At least my kids are enjoying their swing set. Katherine will sit in her airplane seat for at least 2 hours as long as you give her a push once in a while.

Okay. Enough of me blabbing. What changes are you excited for that are coming up in your lives? Let me know. Love to all my friends and family who read this.

1 comment:

Josie said...

Ok, your going to have to post pics of this barn house. So is this on the same property as your house?

And I totally understand the emotions being released from YW! That is so how it goes with serving in YW, you build such strong relationships with them, it is hard to be done. I think I cried for a week when I was released from my ward presidency, I had only been in a year and was not ready. Then I got called to the Stake and I loved it! And I just got released from that and cried some more!