Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Kitchen Ideas

I have been obsessed with trying to figure out how to make this shed a really livable space. The kitchen is where my focus is now. The space is small. About 10 feet wide by 11 feet long. There is a beam going through the one side that supports the loft above. Mark and I found some used cabinets in Salt Lake for $300. The guy gave us all the cabinets for a full kitchen, the counter-tops, the sink, and faucet. What a steal! The cabinets are going to get a face lift so I have been design blog hopping for ideas. Here is what I found.White cabinets are IN! Especially in small kitchens (Check) and country style homes (another Check). I am not so sure about white (little kids+ sticky fingers= handprints constantly!) but I have also seen some light blues and grays on cabinets that catch my eye. I really need to decide a wall color too. This first picture shows some blue cabinets but my favorite part are the open shelves. One wall has a window and we don't have any cabinets for it. If we do shelves like this we will get lots of storage space while being cute, fancy, and country all at the same time.
I like these white cabinets that are antiqued. My first idea for the cabinets was a cream color with antiqued glaze. I am thinking eventually we will add things like bead-board to help it have character. I also love the butcher block counters. I also love the industrial meets country with the stainless steel shelves. Ikea has a good selection of these kind of shelves for pretty inexpensive. Future ideas.
I WANT A PANTRY! Mostly for food storage. I had designed one to be build in like a closet. But with the cabinets we bought the pantry was lost. This picture solves the problem. I have about 15" that we could build a cabinet that pulls out for a pantry. Hallelujah chorus if you please!
I also have been looking at curtains vs. blinds. Right now, curtains are winning.

No comments: