Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013

Well, 2013 was such a busy year that this is going to be the one and only post this year. My goal is to post a couple of times a month next year. The good news is that we have not only survived but thrived this year. Our three children are so adorable and growing faster than we want. Our business has picked up this year and we have finally finished a couple of projects around the house this year.

Mark is busier than ever. He finished his Bachelors last winter and decided to just put all of his efforts into Mountain Lighting. He took a trip to Alaska in August with two of his brothers and can't stop talking about it. He spoiled himself and our kids in November getting a miniature Shetland horse. We call her Sundae because she looks like a hot fudge sundae. Mark is the best dad ever! and both of our girls are daddy's girls. Every night they wont go to bed without a kiss from Dad or being rocked to sleep by Dad. Mark serves as a ward organist, priesthood pianist, family history consultant, and home teacher. He loves every moment of service to the Lord.

Spencer is such a wonderful boy. He turned 5 this fall (I am not sure how he grew up so fast). Spencer took preschool last spring and loved it. He started kindergarten this fall and is extremely smart. He is a wonderful reader. A few weeks ago Spencer started taking piano lessons and is doing very well with that as well. Spencer is so helpful and so much the big brother. He is always helping me put things away, feed the baby, or whatever else needs done.

Katherine turned three this year and is such a delight. She started taking dance lessons this fall and is one of the best ballerinas in her class (mostly because I dance with her at home daily). She has become quite the artist this fall getting very good at coloring between the lines. She loves her dolls, watching Care Bears, and playing hair dress up with Grandma. Her favorite thing to do this summer was go pick strawberries out of our greenhouse and eat them.

Rebecca Rose just turned one year old. She is such a joy. She recently discovered that she can walk. Now, with the help of strollers and walker toys, is unstoppable when it comes to moving. She is very much a Daddy's girl and lights up when Mark is around. She is so sweet and loving. She is learning to communicate to us using sign language which is AWESOME because we know what she wants. Church is a struggle with her because she doesn't like sitting still, especially during nap time. I am hoping 9 am church will help a little.

Me, I am the same old person. A crazy mother of three young children. But, if you add Mark (who lets face it, is a big kid trapped in a man's body), and Mark's mother who lives with us I really do feel like I have 5 children most days. I work three hours a day at the lighting store while Spencer is at school (a friend watches the girls for me). I am so blessed to stay at home in the afternoon with my children to play, teach, read, and have fun. I joined a book club in November which has really reminded me how much I love to read. Since joining I have read 5 books plus I am reading two more. I serve as a Family History Consultant, Visiting Teaching Supervisor and a Visiting Teacher.

Some things we have accomplished this year as a family:
*We finished our front yard (ok, not totally, but like 85%). We built a fence to define the yard from the road, put in concrete curbing, added rock to the driveway, and put in grass. In the spring we will add some flowers and shrubs and decorative rock in an island in the front yard but it looks SO much better.
*We grew a garden. Some of our big successes were pumpkins, peas, strawberries and cucumbers. We were able to make our own pickles (Delicious!). Another success in the garden was the discovery that our blackberry plant and one grape plant survived the neglect and cows eating their leaves to thrive this season. We are hopeful to actually see fruit on the blackberry plant this coming summer.
*We finished a small addition to the house (yep, another addition) that was already part of the structure. It was a toy room but we have done some rearranging this week and now it is my craft room. I love it! Don't worry, we still have a toy room, just upstairs in the loft now.
*We took a few trips including a trip to Yuba Lake (with my side of the family), Yellowstone (Rebecca and I stayed behind to work), Arches (again Rebecca and I stayed behind to work), and a staycation in Salt Lake City. Rebecca and I did go to a scrapbooking retreat in March just the two of us.

Overall, 2013 has been a wonderful year. I am so proud of my little family and the love that we share. I know that God blesses me beyond what I deserve. We have so many family and friends to share our joy with. I hope that each of you has had a great year and I pray that Heavenly Father will continue to watch over us and bless us in the year ahead.

No comments: